Greetings and salutations, one and all! My name is Dale and I live in, with my beautiful wife, “The Redhead.” In 2011, I retired from an amazing career in the United States Air Force where I was fortunate to have many great opportunities and travel the world. I now work in contract management at a large federal agency.
I do my best to keep a positive outlook on life and the world around me. That is not to say that I think everything is peaches and cream, far from it. I like to think that as we age we not only get better at dealing with life’s challenges but we become smarter too as a result of the life experiences we accumulate along the way.
Below is a list 20 things I love so you can get to know me a little better. You are free to draw your own conclusions:
1. My beautiful wife, The Redhead. She is the best thing that ever happened to me.
2. My faith. God has bestowed upon me more joy and blessings than a man should hope for.
3. My family.
4. My friends. You know who you are.
5. Spending a lazy Sunday with The Redhead. ‘Nuff said.
6. Reading a good book. Biographies, history, and current events, but I also dabble in the classics from time to time.
7. Fountain pens. There is nothing like the feel of a smooth nib on good paper. And I write infinitely better with a fountain pen. I always carry one with me.
8. America. Despite all our problems, we are still the greatest political experiment ever undertaken.
9. Making a difference in my community.
10. Music, especially classical music. I love Beethoven, and I love attending St. Louis Symphony concerts! I also like classic rock and big band jazz.
11. Travel and exploring new places. Here, there, and everywhere.
12. Food, especially Italian. And a good steak.
13. Single-malt scotch. The Balvenie is my favorite, but any good dram will do.
14. Old movies. It doesn’t really matter what kind. They are just better than the crap Hollywood is putting out these days.
15. Ice cream. Who doesn’t love ice cream?
16. Learning new things and new skills.
17. Sleep. I don’t get enough! And coffee, lots of coffee.
18. Beer. I have rarely met a beer I didn’t like.
19. Reading the newspaper daily and keeping up with current events.
20. A big, bold cabernet with a chunk of Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese. Dee-licious!
I welcome relevant and respectful comments. Inappropriate comments will be deleted. DISCLAIMER: Opinions presented in this blog are mine alone, and do not reflect the views of any former or future employer, organization of which I am a member, or The Redhead.